Saturday, July 2, 2011

BSJ and Knitted Babes

On one of the knitting blogs I read, I learned about the "Baby Surprise Jacket" or "BSJ".  This was a new one for me.  It is a jacket you knit in one piece,  and it ends up looking like a floppy rag:


  then you sew two seams or sides together and suddenly you have a jacket. 





The original design was created in 1968 by Elizabeth Zimmermann,  a British woman who revolutionized knitting.  Sounds odd, doesn't it, knitting and revolution? She also invented a way to enlarge garments, mathematically, which is very clever:



From which the following quotation:

"Her "EPS" (Elizabeth's Percentage System) is still widely used by designers: it consists of a mathematical formula to determine how many stitches to cast on for a sweater, given that the sleeves and body are always proportionate no matter what yarn or gauge is used. Other patterns and techniques for which she is well known are the so-called "Pi Shawl," a circular shawl that is formed by regularly spaced increases based on Pi, 'i-cord' (or 'idiot cord'), and the "Baby Surprise Jacket," which is knit completely flat and then folded, origami-style, to create a nicely shaped jacket."

Since, after you start the project you can change yarns several times, you really have no idea how the end product will look.  I am assuming that,  because I  have not made one.  I am pretty much done for now with the baby jackets and wanted to try this, but in an adult size.  I found the pattern for $14.95 Incl. S&H, on line,  and this pamphlet  also includes the baby size and other kid sizes check out this great source for patterns and other needle stuff:

just scroll down the page a bit until you see this pamphlet and then click on the abcsj link

Another project I am working on is knitting a doll.  From Amazon I recently ordered this book:


it is inexpensive as well, about $12 I believe,  and also available, really cheaply, used.  These dolls are so cute.  They basically have a big head, smaller body and stringy arms and legs.  They are finished quickly.  Then you can give them hair, clothes, etc., to create their personalities.

Another blogspotter here , http://knittedbabes.blogspot.com/   has a lot of finished dolls and toys, really impressive!

Here is my WIP:  got a long way to go.  I found this wonderful thick, wavy colorful yarn which I thought was perfect for the hair.  The undies are from the book.  I like to put the face on last, after the doll is fully dressed.  I don't know why. Perhaps "clothes make the woman"?


~ Tranquility and Tolerance ~

No comments:

Post a Comment